As the students began to file in, the class president introduced himself to me by complimenting my shoes. I know where he's going with this, I thought. I smiled unsurprised when he asked me to share a scriptural message.
My first thought was how comfortable I feel sharing a scripture at a moment's notice. I reflected on most of the people I know who are connected with some other religion or sect, and how most of them would shudder at the thought of having to get up in front of a group of people and talk about their religion.
My second thought was, What scripture should I share? And it came to me almost instantly.
A few weeks ago Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke at a CES Fireside. He chose to speak about the trials that Joseph Smith faced while imprisoned in Liberty Jail. It was a wonderful address, and in his closing remarks, he shared a scripture from the Doctrine & Covenants about facing trials with a smile on your face.
Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. (D&C 123:17)
I shared the scripture, and then the instructor, standing before the whole class, told me he had almost shared the same passage when we were chatting before class. He said he was glad we were on the same page--we just do all we can, and let things work themselves out.
Later, during the lesson, we were discussing the trials of Joseph Smith, and people in general. Trials are something all of us must face. Life is hard. The trick is to appreciate those hard times. The instructor said rather than getting depressed and asking, Why me?, we should enjoy the ride.
I have often done that in times of hardship. I have looked at my life, and seen how difficult my trials are that I was facing, and wondered, What a crazy ride! How will this ride end up? Where is it going to take me? (Of course, I have also been guilty at times of pleading with the Lord to take the trial away from me, and asking Why me?)
Looking with wonder at my trials has made them easier to face. But what makes them most bearable is the knowledge that God has my best interest at the heart of all He allows happen to me.
2 comments:
You know what is interesting -- the week before - I almost didn't go, but decided last minute to. While I was there we talked about Liberty Jail - and I started to understand Elder Holland's talk. It also helped me realize the 'bigger picture.' It helps to see how our trails can help develope, mold, and create the person he wants us to be. Even if we are wishing for the crystal ball.
It sounds like this weeks was a continuation - I am sad I chose to miss it.
that guy is amazing isnt he? beth wants to marry him. they mentioned this also at the fireside last night, remember?
Post a Comment