Saturday, January 19, 2013

Testimony and Conversion

I went running this morning, and decided that I would, due to my recent feeling like a spiritual slug, try to improve myself by listening to some general conference addresses from the October 2012 General Conference.  I think it actually helped quicken my pace for the 8 miles I was out on the road. There were two talks that stood out to me as I ran.

The first one was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's "Of Regrets and Resolutions".  His address focused on a reflection of one's life and what one might want to change from a deathbed perspective.  The first regret, of course was "I wish I had spent more time with loved ones."  I think everyone feels this way at the end of their life.  No matter how much we work, or don't work, there is always something to keep us from spending time with those who are most important to us. One of the quotes that really stood out to me is as follows:

In our day it is easy to merely pretend to spend time with others. With the click of a mouse, we can “connect” with thousands of “friends” without ever having to face a single one of them. Technology can be a wonderful thing, and it is very useful when we cannot be near our loved ones. My wife and I live far away from precious family members; we know how that is. However, I believe that we are not headed in the right direction, individually and as a society, when we connect with family or friends mostly by reposting humorous pictures, forwarding trivial things, or linking our loved ones to sites on the Internet. I suppose there is a place for this kind of activity, but how much time are we willing to spend on it? If we fail to give our best personal self and undivided time to those who are truly important to us, one day we will regret it.

Technology has made it so easy to think we are staying in touch when all we are really doing is wasting time on trivial matters.  I have found myself spending too much time perusing social networking sites to see what friends and family are doing, but not actually interacting with them like the old days.  You know, picking up a phone and calling them, or planning a night out, or a get-together.  There is a lot to be said for seeing someone face to face.

The other talk that I reflected on repeatedly throughout the day was Elder David A. Bednar's "Converted Unto the Lord", which addresses the relationship between a testimony of the gospel and conversion to the gospel.

There were two quotes that reminded me how a testimony is gained and why conversion is necessary.  The first was this one:

Conversion is an enlarging, a deepening, and a broadening of the undergirding base of testimony. It is the result of revelation from God, accompanied by individual repentance, obedience, and diligence. Any honest seeker of truth can become converted by experiencing the mighty change of heart and being spiritually born of God (see Alma 5:12–14).

I love that bit about "any honest seeker" being converted.  I also like to think of my base testimony being enlarged, deepened and broadened.  Most personal testimonies can use a bit of reenforcement and strength now and again.  This is made possible through conversion.

These next words are so simple, which is why they are so beautiful.

Knowing that the gospel is true is the essence of a testimony. Consistently being true to the gospel is the essence of conversion. We should know the gospel is true and be true to the gospel.

That is how conversion works.  Just be true to your testimony.  Do what is you know is right, and you will not be left alone.  You will be strengthened.

No comments: